Indiana Police Officer Saves Children From Retention Pond After High Speed Chase

by The Chicago Times Staff

December 14, 2021

ST. JOHN, IN — A police officer in Indiana saved the lives of two small children when the car they were riding in drove into a retention pond on Sunday.

Just outside St. John, Lake County Sheriff officers were conducting a traffic stop at 11:30 p.m. when, during the stop, a man with an arrest warrant fled the area.  A female passenger in the automobile leapt into the driver’s seat and sped away with the driver’s two young daughters in the backseat.

Officer Darrell Shaffer and other St. John police officers assisting Lake County Sheriff officers, pursued the speeding vehicle.  Shaffer pursued the automobile down I-80-94 to Kennedy Avenue, where the fleeing vehicle exited.  Without warning the driver lost control of the vehicle which veered off the road into a retention pond.

Shaffer, unaware of the vehicle’s occupants, quickly parked his squad car and jumped into action to save those trapped in the vehicle.  Shaffer noticed a 3-year-old floating in the rear of the car and proceeded to pull the young child from the car.

Shaffer then noticed an 8-month-old child floating in the car and again proceeded to pull the victim from the vehicle.  According to Shaffer, he estimated that the 8-month-old child was under the water for about a minute and a half.

According to medical staff, the children were alert and conscious by the time they were taken to the hospital. 

The man and the woman were arrested. St. John police said Lake County Sheriff’s Department continuing its investigation.   

DeSantis To Deport Illegal Migrants Dumped By Federal Government

by Bernard P. Lawson, The Chicago Times

December 13, 2021

Tallahassee — Gov. Ron DeSantis has announced his intention to deport illegal migrants who were secretly flown into Florida from the southern border by the Biden administration.

DeSantis included $8 million in the state budget last week to transport the migrants back to privileged Democratic enclaves like Washington, DC.  This is in response to the Biden administration secretly transporting illegal migrants throughout the country including Jacksonville, FL; Alexandria, VA; Chattanooga, TN; Long Beach, CA.

DeSantis has argued that If the federal government insists on keeping the southern border open and refuses to alert states when a new batch of unvetted, unvaccinated migrants arrives on their doorstep, governors must stand up for their communities and prevent their services from being swamped.

“Every month, 200,000 people enter the country illegally.  Every month, that’s a medium-sized American city coming in illegally,” DeSantis said in a statement.

DeSantis will also seek restitution from any commercial business that transports or harbors illegal migrants to cover the additional costs of law enforcement, health care, and other services.  DeSantis also plans to deny taxpayer subsidies to illegal migrants.

Florida will also increase enforcement of the law prohibiting employers from hiring employees who are not permitted to work in the United States as a deterrent to illegal migration.

According to U.S. government statistics, illegal migrants continue to pour across the southern border, with an estimated 1.8 million crossing this year.

FORMER NFL PLAYER GLENN FOSTER JR. DEAD

by The Chicago Times Staff

December 9, 2021

Alabama – Former NFL player Glenn Foster Jr died in police custody on Monday.

According to a New Orleans newspaper, after being arrested for allegedly speeding in Pickens County, Alabama, Foster was re-booked on felony charges for allegedly assaulting another detainee.

A judge ordered Foster to undergo a mental health evaluation because he was deemed a danger to himself and others.

Foster was arrested on charges of assault and third-degree robbery on Sunday, according to Pickens County Sheriff’s Office records.

According to Foster’s father, Foster was diagnosed with bipolar disorder.

 Foster was a Mount Carmel and University of Illinois alumnus.

EX-U.S. MARINE’S PARENTS URGE FOR JAILED SON’S FREEDOM

by Harold W. Reid, The Chicago Times

December 6, 2021

WASHINGTON — The parents of Trevor Reed, a former United States Marine imprisoned in Russia, requested President Joe Biden on Monday to mention their son’s plight with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Biden and Putin are scheduled to meet via video on Tuesday to mainly discuss the apparent Russian military buildup along the Ukraine border.  Many fear it is a prelude to invasion, which Moscow denies.

Reed’s parents, Joey and Paula, expressed concern ahead of the discussions that a dramatic escalation over Ukraine could jeopardize their 30-year-old son’s chances of freedom.

Reed, from Texas, was sentenced to nine years in prison last year after being found guilty of endangering the lives of two police officers in Moscow while intoxicated on a visit in 2019.

Like a page out of a Cold War novel, Reed and Paul Whelan, an American imprisoned in Russia on false spying charges, have been mentioned as possible prisoners swap with the US.

Russian media have suggested that Konstantin Yaroshenko, convicted in the US for conspiracy to smuggle cocaine, and Viktor Bout, a Russian arms trafficker serving a 25-year sentence, could be swapped for Reed and Whelan.

Houston: Man Who Bought Lamborghini With Covid Relief Money Gets 9 Plus Years

by Harold W. Reid, The Chicago Times

December 1, 2021

HOUSTON – Lee Price III, 30, was sentenced to more than nine years in prison after pleading guilty in a case in which prosecutors claimed he spent federal COVID-19 relief money on a Lamborghini Urus, a Rolex watch, and strippers.

Price was sentenced to 110 months in prison after pleading guilty to wire fraud and money laundering in September.  Prosecutors accused Price of misusing more than $1.6 million in Paycheck Protection Program funding, which provided low-interest loans to small businesses struggling during the pandemic.  Prosecutors also claim Price used the funds to purchase a $85,000 Ford F-350 pickup truck and to pay off a residential property loan.

According to court records, he obtained the coronavirus relief funds through bogus businesses, and authorities have recovered approximately $700,000 of the funds.

Prosecutors Ask Supreme Court To Overturn Cosby Conviction

by The Chicago Times Staff

November 29, 2021

PHILADELPHIA — Prosecutors have asked the United States Supreme Court to reinstate Bill Cosby’s sexual assault conviction, claiming in a petition released Monday that the verdict was overturned due to a questionable agreement that the comedian claimed provided him with lifetime immunity.

They claimed that the June decision by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court to overturn Cosby’s conviction set a dangerous precedent by giving a press release the legal weight of an immunity agreement.

“The United States Supreme Court has the power to right what we believe is a grave wrong,” Steele wrote in the filing, which seeks review under the U.S. Constitution’s due process clause.

Cosby’s lawyers have long argued that when he gave damaging testimony in an accuser’s civil suit in 2006, he relied on a promise that he would never be charged.  The admissions were later used against him in two separate criminal proceedings.

The only written evidence of such a promise is a press release from then-prosecutor Bruce Castor in 2005, in which he stated that there was insufficient evidence to arrest Cosby.

Steele’s attempt to resurrect the case is a long shot.  The United States Supreme Court accepts less than 1% of the petitions it receives.  The petition, which was filed on Wednesday but only made public on Monday, is not expected to be decided for several months.

Castor’s successors, who gathered new evidence and arrested Cosby in 2015, are skeptical that Castor ever made such a deal.  Instead, they claim Cosby gave the deposition for strategic reasons rather than exercising his Fifth Amendment right to remain silent, even if it backfired when “he slipped up” in his rambling testimony.

Steele, according to Cosby’s spokesperson, is “obsessed” with the actor and only wants to please “the #MeToo mob.”  Defense attorneys have long claimed that the case should never have gone to trial due to a “non-prosecution agreement.”

Cosby, 84, became the first celebrity convicted of sexual assault in the #MeToo era when a jury found him guilty in 2018 of drugging and molesting college sports administrator Andrea Constand in 2004.  Cosby was imprisoned for nearly three years before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court ordered his release.