By H. Haverstock, The Chicago Times
February 22, 2022
BRUSSELS — NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg believes there is strong evidence that Russian forces are planning a full-scale attack on Ukraine.
Stoltenberg said in a statement “Every indication is that Russia is still planning a full-scale attack on Ukraine.”
Stoltenberg’s remarks come just one day after Russian President Vladimir Putin recognize the independence of two Russian-backed breakaway regions in eastern Ukraine, and then declared Russian forces were performing a peacekeeping mission in the Donbas region.
According to NATO, there is strong evidence that Russian forces had already invaded Ukraine on Putin’s orders. Intelligence reports have estimated that 150,000 troops have gathered along Ukraine’s border in Russia, Belarus, occupied Crimea, and Donbas.
“Moscow has now moved from covert attempts to destabilize Ukraine to overt military action. Many units are deployed forward in combat formations. They’ve broken out of their field camps and are ready to strike.” NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said in a statement.
Germany, the United Kingdom, and the United States will target financial institutions linked to the Kremlin and continue to assist Ukraine in defending itself by providing military equipment and financial support, according to NATO. However, since Ukraine is not a NATO member, the NATO alliance will not deploy forces to Ukraine.